Saturday, April 14, 2007

Cupid and Psyche, Beauty and the Beast?

Reading the tale of Cupid and Psyche, I was surprised to be reminded of stories from my childhood. Cupid's waking of the sleeping psyche, placed under a spell of eternal sleep reminded me of two other very familiar characters who paid a price when curiousity got the best of them:








(On a side note, when I think of the apple given to Snow White by her stepmother in disguise, I can't help but think of the καλλίστ apple thrown by Eris that caused the Trojan war.)



And even before this in the story, I was reminded of the story of Beauty and the Beast. Like Belle, Psyche has been trapped in a beautiful home by a master whose face she cannot see (whether literally or figuratively depends on the version of the Fairy Tale) and whom she believes may be a terrible monster, a theory implanted largely by her jealous sisters. When she does finally see him, however, and realizes that he is not the monster she thought he was, she returns his love and begs him to return. I certainly like this version of the story much better than Disney's!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home